In 1947 Edward Thorpe Snr a Radio engineer set up a small electrical business on Gosforth High Street. Over 70 years later this small business has grown into the Thorpes of Gosforth customers are familiar with today.
Originally the shop occupied the front half of 110 High Street and gradually increased in size to occupy all of 110 High Street. In 1981 Carricks, the bakers, moved out of 112 High Street when the new Gosforth Shopping Centre was built.
Thorpes of Gosforth acquired 112 High Street to increase the size of the shop. In 1998 the shop was extended to its present size.
In 2002 Thorpes of Gosforth joined up with a number of other like minded hardware retailers throughout Scotland and Northern England to become part of the Home Hardware Scotland group which has given them the ability to trade independently yet enjoy the benefits that come with being part of a larger organisation.
Our values have always remained the same…
We are the Heart of the community, serving a loyal customer base that we take pride in helping / sourcing.
After 70 years, Thorpes of Gosforth is still a family run business.